Friday, November 4, 2011

Review - Coastal Scents Brushes: my thoughts

0 comments
Let’s talk makeup brushes today!

I have been using so many brushes for the past six (seven-eight?) years and right now they are staple pieces I am using daily to apply my make up.

I've been reviewing Coastal Scents Brushes a while ago, please check it out here. That was my first buy from them. However, now I'd like to do a new updated one about my entire make up brushes collection. Also, some of them are not really available now, but I will focus on what you can get your hands on.



Well, to begin with 3 points disclaimer:
1. I use mostly mineral make up and synthetic bristles brushes.
2. I do not own any high-end makeup brushes except for the multitasking MAC 217.
3. Most of my brushes are from the online stores, easily accessible and really affordable.

Ok, first off, let’s have a look at all CS brushes I own: The Pink Line and The Black-Silver Line.





My first impression of all the brushes was good, they are inexpensive decent brushes, and not all of them are cheapie… one by one…

Here's my thoughts on CS Brushes: The Pink Line


Pink Oval Fluff Shadow Brush - 1.95$ - this brush is not in stock right now, if it will be – you might need it.
Sable hair. Pink handle with Aluminum ferrule. The bristles are dense, very soft, no shedding or bleeding, but extremely big and thick. I was surprised to see how large this brush was. I use it usually as an “eraser”, when I am not accurate with dark crease eye shadow. I can use it as “all over lid” eyeshade brush but for some reason do not reach for this brush very often.
Rating: 3 of 5


Pink Round Crease Eye Brush - 1.89$ - not in stock, if it will be – do not buy!
Sable hair. Pink handle with Aluminum ferrule. Very rough on eye lids; the bristles are hard and scratchy. So disappointed with this brush. But, my 3 years old niece is OK with it while playing with her “make up”. If you do not have small kids around – do not buy it.
Rating: 1 of 5


Pink Angle Taklon Liner Brush - 1.79$ - not in stock, if it will be – do not buy!
Synthetic hair. Pink handle with Aluminum ferrule. Doesn't hold shape, after washing it a few times the bristles started to fray and separate. My niece likes it.
Rating: 1 of 5


Pink Oval Taklon Lip Brush - 1.99$ - not in stock, if it will be – you might need it.
Synthetic hair. Pink handle with Aluminum ferrule. The bristles are stiff, tiny, super soft and very dense. Keeps shape nicely. Really small for (my?) lips, too stiff for smudging eye liner, but I like it for the inner corner highlighter. Use it almost every day since bought.
Rating: 5 of 5


Pink Synthetic Oval Foundation – 3.99$ - now for 2.00$ – you might need it.
Synthetic hair. Pink handle with Aluminum ferrule. The bristles are soft, big, rounded, medium density. Keeps shape nicely. Extremely stripy with liquid foundation. But, I like it for my very pigmented and shimmery mineral blushes, because the brush shaped rounded as a blusher brush and it dense enough for really pigmented products . Makes the job very well. Use it sometimes when I need to (I am not a “big blush girl”, rarely using blushes).
Rating: 4 of 5


So these are the brushes I got from Coastal Scents Pink Line, as I said, not so impressed with the quality of couple of them, but for the price and for my lovely niece, I am really satisfied with all my purchases.
------------------


Let’s have a look at The Black-Silver Line


Pro Blending Fluff Brush – 3.95$ – a great substitute for the MAC 217 brush – you might need it.
Goat hair. Black handle with Silver ferrule. The bristles are soft and dense as I like for blending brush, used to shed a little after first washes, has never bled. Its unique shape allow you to pack color on the lid and easily blend it out. I own 4 of this kind, pros: two of them identical to MAC 217, cons: two others shaped a little different, and a bit scratchy. Overall this is a good fluffy brush, picks up enough product, fits perfect into the crease, blends easily and gives a smooth finish, this is great multi use brush. One of my favorite crease brushes. Really decent quality brush for everyday use.
Rating: 5 of 5 for first two, 3 of 5 to the others


Chisel Fluff Shadow Large – 2.75$ – regular eye shadow brush to pack on color to the lid – you might need it.

Sable hair. Black handle with Silver ferrule. The bristles are dense, soft, and stiff, shaped well, used to shed a little. It picks up an eye shadow nicely and packs on the color pretty densely. I own 2 of this kind; they look and feel the same, must have shading brushes, using them daily. Overall I find this brush to be perfect for it's price.
Rating: 4 of 5


Chisel Fluff Shadow Medium – 2.75$ – small eye shadow brush to pack on color to the lid – you might need it.
Sable hair. Black handle with Silver ferrule. The bristles are nicely cut, packed tightly, dense, soft, and stiff, shaped well, sheds a little after first wash. Just a perfect shape and length of the bristles for detailed work, places shadow flawlessly. The handle is much shorter than my other CS brushes, looks like travel size. I own 2 of this kind; they look and feel the same, good brushes, using them daily.
Rating: 4 of 5


All my CS brushes have a light weight and nice length for application. The handles of the Pink Line look extremely cheap and they chip quickly; the Black-Silver Line looks more professional.

Overall rating: they appear to be decent quality for the price.

Will I buy more? – I guess no.

Why? First of all, the quality of the brushes is not consistent, another problem for international buyers is the shipping cost CS increased lately, the new shipping rates even went overboard the price of the products you actually intended to buy: for 2-5$ brush you will pay minimum 10$ shipping by first class int. USPS.

So Pros of shopping from CS:

1. Cheap, inexpensive products.
2. Nice collection of brushes.

Cons of shopping from CS:

1. Inconsistency in quality
2. New Shipping rates

Have you ever tried these brushes? Do you own them? Are you are going to repurchase them? What are your thoughts?
Hope some of you find this helpful, and please let me know what you think of these reviews. See you next time :)


You may like

Favorite Mineral Make Up Products in 2011 (english)
Russian Version of my Favorite Mineral Make Up Products in 2011 (Минеральный хит-парад 2011)
How to: A little Guide to modify Mineral Foundation to your needs
My first Review - Coastal Scents Eye Shadow Brushes (The Pink Line)
Review - EcoTools Makeup Brushes - part 1 Singles

Review - EcoTools Brushes - 5-Piece Mineral Brush Set

Comments

0 comments to "Review - Coastal Scents Brushes: my thoughts"

Post a Comment

Followers

Total Pageviews

 

Home Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Galia's Place by Galia Terms of Use